Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Old Churn Dash Quilt Top

I am really fond of this old quilt top. I bought a box of quilting "stuff" at a sale well over 20 years ago. In the box I found 2 finished tops, an unfinished top and many blocks. I don't even remember now where that sale was located. These Churn Dash Blocks appear to be made of a variety of fabric. I have been told it is mostly feed sack material and 50's fabric with maybe a few pieces that might have been early 60's.
I have been working on repairing it and getting it ready for quilting. It may not be the most perfectly constructed quilt top but it is has history that I wish I knew more about. Someone put a lot of work into making this old top.....who knows, there may be blocks made from fabric salvaged from old family clothing....or scraps from making a new dress.
Anyway, I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is all quilted and bound.
I had no idea 20 some years ago how much I would come to value the old "stuff" in the box, but I am sure glad I bought it!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Peggy, My name is Anne (Annie) Copeland and I came across your blog when I was doing research for Churn Dash quilts. When I read that you suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, I was immediately wanting to get in touch with you as I have a nonprofit, www.fiberartsconnection.blogspot.com and what I do is work with physically challenged quilters (fiber artists). We just have a good support group and we all help each other. I am 70 years old, or will be this year, and I am not fully physically challenged, but I certainly have my own set of physical challenges as well, so I really empathize with yours.

    I might also refer you to Art and Healing on Facebook. I am a member of that and a lot of the gals have physical challenges. We all support each other with encouragement and kindness and general sharing. I am so glad to meet you. Oh, my other site is www.ohmimola.blogspot.com. Like you, I am a lover of all quilts, and I am actually a certified quilt appraiser and a quilt historian and writer about the quilts I see and the textile things I love.

    I live in Southern California and I live alone with my rescued pets - four little doggies, two kitties, a desert tortoise, and goldfish in a little mobile home. I love thrift stores, gardening (and rescuing plants that people throw away), doing lots of volunteer work, working with special needs children, art of all kinds, writing, and quilting, quilting, quilting! I have been quilting since the 1980s, but I was sewing even when I was a young girl. Oh, I love to cook too, though it is hard to cook for just one. I love your writing here and am so happy to meet you. My e-mail is anneappraiser@yahoo.com and don't hesitate to get in touch with me any time. Have a great week, and keep up the great work on your blog. Peace, light and many blessings always, Annie

    ReplyDelete