Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Quilt for a Friend

In the fall of 2005 a good friend of mine, from
way back in Jr High, lost her husband.
She did not live close by and I wanted to do
something to brighten her world.....and this is it.
I started out with the middle block. I traced
and colored with crayons and ironed it in between
a brown paper bag to set the color.
I had an older lady (88 yrs old) that had done a little quilting
for me before, do the quilting on this and
she went right over the top of my applique!!
Oh well, it turned out OK. No biggy and
last summer the older quilting lady passed
and I am glad I have some of her work she
did on that ancient old machine she used.
I guess you could say it is just a huge wonky
log cabin quilt. It was a fun quilt to make and pretty fast
for me as I had only been doing this for a
little over 2 years.
Last summer my friend had gone to spend some time with
her daughter and family in Arkansas and they
had a house fire that destroyed most all they owned.
When I got the call about the fire the first thing her
daughter told me after saying they were all OK was
that her mother had not brought the quilt with her!!
I was relieved to hear that but more relieved to know
they all got out of the house OK that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment